Swimming pool not on original house plan: What should we do now?

  • Creation Date: Wednesday, 19 June 2019

We recently bought a house which was built in the early 60s. The swimming pool on the property was never included on the building plan lodged with the local municipality. How do we go about fixing this problem?

Les has responded to our reader as follows:

The municipalities are now required to see that the approved plans reflect what is physically on the property and that the buildings conform to the Zoning and the National Building Regulations.  It is also no longer legal for an owner to sell a property where there are unapproved alterations in place and corrections to the approved plan has to be made before any sale takes place.

Where no plans have been approved then the municipalities require that a formal plan be submitted showing the illegal work.

You would need to contact a local SACAP (Architectural Council) registered person to draw up a plan for you and have them submit it to your local municipality. Your municipality building department may be able to give you the names of registered people who can assist you. There may be penalties involved when the plans are submitted as the work was done without approval.