Building a granny flat: Where do I start?

  • Creation Date: Wednesday, 19 June 2019

I wonder if you could give me a bit of advice. I have the opportunity to build a house/granny flat on my parents' property which is reasonably large. Where do I start? Who do I contact to see what size house/granny flat can be built? How do I contact them etc? I would really appreciate any advice you could offer me.

Les replied to this reader as follows:

The first point to note is that the Zoning Regulations have recently changed and it now allows for a separate, 120sqm second dwelling to be constructed on a property zoned "single residential".

The second point to note is that the building line distances have changed and both side and rear building setbacks are now 2m for properties over 400sqm.

(1m for properties under 400sqm) The third point is that where a second dwelling is built, two additional off-street parking bays will need to be provided (additional that is, to what has been provided for the main dwelling).  The only place where all this information can be verified is with your local municipality building department.

The prudent appointment of an architect or competent designer will be essential to ensuring that you get the best value for your money and that the value of your investment is increased and not decreased because of poor design or planning.

I trust that this will assist you.