MAINTAINING STEEL SECURITY BARRIERS AT THE COAST
Security gates and burglar guards are essential fittings on coastal homes, especially when break-ins are on the increase. Whether it’s a weekender cottage or a permanent home, barriers are the most effective method of keeping criminals out of your property. The question is how to avoid problems such as rust and ‘stiffening’ through lack of use or care.
Trellidor’s security barrier products are installed in homes around our coastline, from the harsh West Coast to the humid East Coast. Here are our tips for ensuring that your barriers stay in good working order:
• Clean your barriers regularly (see instructions below). We recommend that if you live within 500m of the beachfront, clean your barriers every two weeks; up to 1km from the beachfront, clean them once a month; from 1km to 10km from the sea, clean them every two to three months; more than 10km from the sea, clean them every 6 months.
• If you’re installing new barriers, check on how they’re manufactured. We use roll-formed galvanised steel that forms a U-shape. This allows the factory to coat the entire component and protect it against corrosion. Square tubing cannot be coated on the inside, is more inclined to rust and will require more maintenance.
• Ask for the barriers to be installed internally rather than on the outside of the building wherever possible. This means they will have less exposure to harsh elements.
• If the barriers have to be fitted externally, make sure they are of a quality that can withstand harsh weather and corrosive conditions. Off-the-shelf or poor quality barriers are unlikely to be able to cope under these conditions for long.
• If your barriers are guaranteed you’ll have recourse to your supplier should the barriers rust prematurely. Make sure you’re given written guarantees once the barriers are fitted. Read these through thoroughly, especially the conditions under which barriers will be replaced.
RECOMMENDED CLEANING METHOD:
• Use a premium quality (salt free) car wash liquid, mixed with water as per manufacturer's directions and a soft cotton cloth to clean the entire unit. Never use abrasive cleaners, detergent based cleaners or solvent based cleaners such as scouring agents, dishwashing liquids, washing powders, thinners etc as these could adversely affect the expected life of the products.
• Hard to reach areas may require the use of a soft nylon bristle brush such as a dishwashing brush.
• Dry the unit with a soft cotton cloth or chamois.
• Always lubricate the security barrier after cleaning
Trellidor can supply lubricating spray to customers. Contact your nearest franchise should you need more spray. It must be applied to all moving parts, especially all hinge points inside the channel sections and into the top tracks, as follows:
• Shake the can of lubricating spray well, apply to a clean cotton cloth and wipe the entire unit, or spray directly onto unit from a distance of about 20cm. Wipe off the excess residue. This will form a protective barrier against both moisture and contamination of airborne pollutants.
• Do not spray into the keyhole of the cylinder where the key fits.
• A second application may be required if the unit has stood for too long without being lubricated and has become stiff, dry and difficult to operate.
• Remember to read the warnings on the Trellidor Lubricating Spray label as the product is highly flammable, must not be ingested and is irritating to eyes and skin.
CHOOSE BARRIERS ENGINEERED FOR ANTI-CORROSION AND SMOOTH MOVEMENT
Trellidor’s research and development department has put a lot of effort into designing barriers that can withstand harsh environments. Apart from the roll-forming process described above, our barriers also have the following anti-corrosion features, making them ideal for harsh conditions:
• The barriers are all coated with a state-of-the-art powder coating method that includes a pre-treatment process to significantly enhance the corrosion resistant properties.
• Many of our barriers’ moving components are glass-filled Nylon 6/6 rather than steel, so there is no danger of rust.
• It also allows the moving parts to operate more smoothly and quietly than traditional steel-on-steel components. This is also key to corrosion resistance because the friction caused by steel-on-steel components accelerates the onset of corrosion.
• Nylon 6/6 is strong enough for NASA’s Space Shuttle and the motor industry, amongst other uses. It has a UV stabiliser and excellent heat deflection properties, giving our components the ability to withstand exposure to long-term heat, which is important in our long, hot summers, particularly at the coast.
• Any new Trellidor components have to perform well under stringent salt-spray tests before they’re allowed to be used on our products.
If you have any questions relating to any of the above information, contact your nearest Trellidor franchise or visit our website at www.trellidor.co.za or email us at
Authored by: For Further Information:
Lindy Barry Charlene Erasmus
P R Consultant Brand and P R Manager
Trellicor Group Trellicor Group
Tel: +44 11 453 9304 Tel: +44 31 508 0800
Mobile 083 251 7019